Summer Financial Aid
Federal financial aid in the summer can include Pell Grants, Subsidized and/or Unsubsidized Direct Loans, PLUS (parent) Loans, Graduate PLUS Loans, and Federal Work-Study.
How do I apply?
To apply for financial aid for the summer term:
How much aid will I receive?
To be eligible for federal financial aid during the summer semester
- You must enroll in at least 3 hours through an official KU program (graduate students who are considered half-time at less than three hours may also qualify).
- You must be meeting satisfactory academic progress (SAP) standards. If you have become ineligible but have experienced extenuating circumstances, you may file an appeal.
The summer cost of attendance (COA), also known as a budget, is a standardized estimate of what it will cost a student to attend KU for the summer.
- Summer budgets are based on an enrollment of three credit hours or six credit hours for undergraduate students and most graduate and professional students, depending on what is reported on the Summer Financial Aid Request form.
- Budgets for pharmacy and law students are based on what is reported on the Summer Financial Aid Request form.
- If your enrolled hours exceed these estimates, you may request an increase in your budget. An increase in COA does not guarantee eligibility for additional financial aid.
Amounts available to a student in the summer depend on many factors, including
- Enrollment status
- Expected Family Contribution (EFC), as calculated by the FAFSA
- Amount of financial aid used in the preceding academic year.
How do I accept my award?
You will receive an email notification when your eligibility for summer financial aid has been determined and your awards are available for you to review.
- You must accept or decline your financial aid awards online through Enroll & Pay.
- If you are not eligible for any federal student aid, you will receive an email with information on how to explore other options, such as private loans and KU Endowment Association loans.
- If you have questions about summer aid eligibility, make an appointment to talk with a financial aid counselor in Financial Aid & Scholarships.
- You may check the status of your financial aid at sa.ku.edu (Enroll & Pay > Student Center).